Flea market fire toxins contaminate more wells

This was posted more than 12 months ago. The information may be outdated.

By Susan Burgess, CBC News Ottawa, December 11, 2018

Two years after fire destroyed a flea market near Smiths Falls, Ont., toxic chemicals from the foam firefighters used to douse the flames have appeared in the well water of homes half a kilometre away.

The Rideau Valley Marketplace — and everything in it — burned to the ground shortly after 5 a.m. on Nov. 6, 2016. As CBC has reported, residents of about a dozen homes adjacent to the Rideau Valley Marketplace soon noticed their tap water was foul-smelling and bubbly, and were advised not to drink it, cook with it, bathe in it or even flush their toilets.

Now CBC News has learned that the wells of more homes further from the scene of the fire have become contaminated.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/smiths-falls-fire-contamination-wells-1.4934750