You can now report sick and injured animals to 311

By StittsvilleCentral, January 5, 2018

Starting Friday, January 5, the City of Ottawa will handle calls about sick and injured animals and will take on responsibility for transporting them.

If you see an injured domestic animal, such as a dog or cat, or small wild animal, such as a raccoon, squirrel, rabbit or skunk, please call 3-1-1. The City will assess the situation and dispatch a fully trained by-law officer to transport the animal, if needed. The by-law officer will bring the animal to either the Ottawa Humane Society or an emergency veterinary hospital.

The City has 54 by-law officers who have received training in the care and handling of animals. The City will hire a new wildlife management officer who will lead a specialized team of up to eight officers that will handle animals and deal with the increase in calls.

Connect with us