Crash lawsuits set OC Transpo on course for deficit - Ottawa - CBC News

This was posted more than 12 months ago. The information may be outdated.

 

By Laura Osman, CBC News Ottawa, September 20, 2017

Multi-million-dollar payouts to settle lawsuits stemming from the fatal crash between an OC Transpo bus and a Via Rail train in September 2013 could push Ottawa's transportation department into deficit by the end of the year, general manager John Manconi said Wednesday.

As CBC reported Tuesday, the city has so far paid out $8 million to settle 31 legal claims related to the crash, in which six people died and many more were injured. Eight lawsuits remain unsettled.

"We've maxed out on our base budget in terms of insurance claims," Manconi told the city's transit commission. "That could cause us to get into a deficit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/crash-lawsuits-oc-transpo-deficit-1.4298490