Ford government pauses proposal to build housing on dwindling farmland Social Sharing Facebook Twitter Email Reddit LinkedIn

By Desmond Brown, CBC News

Premier Doug Ford's government has hit the brakes on a proposal that would allow more housing to be built on Ontario's dwindling farmland.

Steve Clark, Ontario's Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, said Wednesday that the government is not moving forward with the proposal that would have allowed the owners of agricultural land to carve out up to three housing lots on each farm parcel, a policy known as severance.

...The contentious proposals formed part of the government's overhaul of Ontario's land-use guidelines, floated by Clark last month. At the time, Clark called his plan "housing-focused" and said it would create more homes in both urban and rural communities.

Find the whole article here.

Connect with us